If you’re ready to start the Program during the Summer of 2019, space is still available in all content areas. Please submit an application through UW-Madison Graduate School.
If you are planning for future years, note that we begin taking applications for the following-summer start around the second week of July. Candidate applications received prior to October 15 will be reviewed for priority admission. Applications received after October 15 will be reviewed as space allows.
Information required at this step includes the following:
- Autobiographical data
- Transcripts – documenting undergraduate degree from an accredited college
- GRE scores -if your GPA is below a 3.0 on the last 60 credits
- International Applicants – TOEFL score 92/120 and proof of funding
- Statement of purpose – open ended format, usually not to exceed one page.
- Resume (or short CV) – listing your academic and professional experience as well as any other information that might be helpful to us in evaluating your application. (No specific format is required, but it should not exceed two pages in length.)
- 2 letters of recommendation – up to 3 are allowed
- Supplemental Application: This section includes open-ended prompts requesting:
- further information about certification areas within science of social studies
- GPA from your last 60 credits, and an opportunity to share extenuating circumstances if you feel the number does not adequately reflect your academic abilities.
- a brief summary of your previous work with adolescents, educational settings, and/or speakers of languages other than English. (Experience in these areas are not required, but are helpful in determining your readiness for the Program.)
- In essay format, answers to 3 prompts specifically tailored to your subject area.
- Be certain you select “Summer” as your Term of Admission in the Graduate School online application.
- The UW Secondary Education MS Program admits new students only for the “summer” term.
- Be certain you select Curriculum and Instruction MS – with your specified content area. This includes secondary education in English, Mathematics, Science or Social Studies.
- Students may only be enrolled in one subject area. Science and Social Studies certification may include multiple sub-categories within the subject area.
- Please read the Graduate School’s Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) before completing the online application.
Step 2: Internal Review
After your Graduate School application is completed, program staff will review and verify the documents submitted. Each application file will be reviewed by a content team of specialists.
This team will review content background, academic readiness for the program and previous experience with adolescents &/or teaching to make a recommendation regarding acceptance into the program.
Step 3: Communication and decisions
After the internal review an email will be sent to you regarding the overall recommendation of the program.
If the application submission is prior to Oct 15, it may take until Dec 15 to receive a recommendation notice. If the application comes in after Dec 15, determinations usually take a month to process.
If the recommendation is favorable, the UW Graduate School will make a final decision on the application. Official transcripts need to be submitted if the candidate has a degree from an institution other than UWMadison.
If the recommendation is not favorable, a letter will be sent outlining the concern or issue. When applicable, candidates may be offered an opportunity to remain on a “wait list,” as future spots become available.
PLEASE REMEMBER: Early applicant review is done for all applications received prior to OCTOBER 15TH.
We will review applications after Oct. 15th as space allows.