COHORT 22 – Prospective Secondary Education Students
Activities on the Horizon:
- Priority Review, Due Date: Dec 1, Notification Dec 20, Student update Jan 10
- Additional Application Review: Each month after the 20th, applications will be reviewed.
- LIVE Q&A Sessions – 3rd Thursdays at 4:30: Staff from the Secondary Education Program and other UW offices will share a short presentation and be available to address candidate’s questions. Please see the schedule listed below.
- Scholarship Application – Due March 1: All candidates are invited to submit an application through the UW WiSh system.
- Background Check’s -Due April 20: A condition of admittance is that each candidate must have a background check completed. Invitations will be sent in March.
- Program Preparation– throughout May: Surveys, registration and modules will be shared with candidates in preparation for the start of the program.
- Program Orientation– June 8: Candidates will gather to explore the upcoming semester and year.
COHORT 21 – Current Secondary Education Students
Activities on the Horizon:
- PREP CONFERENCE – Jan 12-21: School of Education’s Career Center is hosting a series of workshops to support candidates in their preparation for their upcoming job search
- Spring Courses – Jan 12 to May 19: Advance content methods and ESL Methods are classes that meet throughout the spring.
- Full-time Student Teaching– Jan-June: starting with each district’s third quarter, candidates will be working all day, every day with students, school-based educators and colleagues.
- Professional Development Seminars: Monthly meeting with fellow cohort member to reflect on student teaching experiences and explore a topic of relevance to the professional development of teachers.
- UNI Job Fair- Workshop in February, Reg by 1/29: Hiring agencies and international schools recruit for oversees positions.
- WERF Career FAIR – March 23: Wisconsin school districts gather to talk with potential applicants for the 21-22 school year
LIVE Q&A Sessions- for incoming students
Secondary Education staff and other representatives from UW services will address topics and questions about the program, process, documents and resources available. Each session will be arranged around a theme and offer comments from relevant UW staff members for approximately 15 to 20 minutes. After that point, we will open the floor for discussion and questions from candidates.
We are looking forward to seeing you for our next session on Thursday, February 18, 2021, 4:30 – TOPIC: Meet the Advisors – Zoom Link
- January 21: Financial Picture
- Slides from the Webinar–> Google Slides View Q&A Page from the Webinar–> Google Doc View
- Link to the Secondary Education Scholarship Application – Due March 1
- Financial Aid Office’s FAFSA Frenzy workshops–> https://financialaid.wisc.edu/frenzy/
- Teacher Pledge Follow up questions: https://tec.education.wisc.edu/teacher-pledge/
- February 18: Meet the Advisors
- March 18: Schedule and Expectations
- April 15: Exploring Campus Resources
- May 20: Connecting with our Community
Secondary Education Finals Conference
Thursday, August 6, 2020, the fantastic fifth cohort of teacher candidates from the Dept of Curriculum and Instruction’s Secondary Education Program will present their final Master’s projects.
The virtual event will include two rounds of candidate presentations. Guests will be able to choose which small group they wish to hear.
If you have additional questions, you may contact the capstone instructor:
- English Candidates: Greg Bartley (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Math Candidates: Maxine McKinney de Royston (email@example.com)
- Science Candidates: Sam Evans (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Social Studies Candidates: Tom Owenby (email@example.com)
or Joey Lubasi – Program Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org)
or Bill Weber- Technical Support Coordinator (email@example.com)
GRADUATION RECOGNITION Virtual Celebration
- Graduates and Guests, please join us for a virtual celebration of this milestone.
- Graduates have a link to share with guests to access the Event. Password is 2020
SCHEDULE of EVENT:
- 4:15 Session Opens
- 4:30 Welcome Address and Keynote speech: Dean Diana Hess
- 4:45 Conferral of Degrees
- 5:10 Cohort Awards
- 5:15 Cohort Photo Opp
- 5:20 “Walk of Graduates” Photo show of graduates
- 5:30 close
Look back to last year: A summary of the MS projects from the 2019 Secondary Ed Graduates may be found through this link.